Artwork by Koren Shadmi
It’s happened. The world’s leading climate change scientists have stated that we only have 12 years left before the world as we know it is lost.
How much more urgent can it get?!
This is absolutely terrifying, and yet, despite the scientists pressing the “okay you can panic now” button, it seems it is still not the world’s priority. It is devastating and ironic. No worldly problems can be fixed if this is not fixed first. Otherwise, we won’t have a world at all.
It is hard to comprehend that climate change is directly connected to us as individuals. That’s something for the scientists and governments to sort out, right? How could one person make a difference? But the fact is that it is our daily choices and personal consumerism, as individuals that add up to the collective problem.
Understanding the climate crisis
Due to huge amounts of greenhouse gases caused by us humans, the atmosphere’s temperature is rising to an unsafe and potentially irreversible level. The ‘goal’ is to keep the world’s temperature at 1.5C, however, we are on track to far exceed this. If we hit 2C, this means extreme heat, causing deaths and widespread forest fires. Nature would diminish. Insects, who are key for the pollination of our food crops would lose half of their habitat, meaning global food scarcity. 99% of corals would be gone, meaning complete ecosystems destroyed and wiping out entire species.
C L I M A T E C H A N G E
We’ve all heard of greenhouse gases by now, and most likely the term ‘fossil fuels’.
‣ But did you know that the leading cause of greenhouse gas emissions comes from ANIMAL AGRICULTURE?
Aka the meat and dairy industry.
‣ Farming livestock for meat is responsible for 65% of nitrous oxide emissions (296x more destructive than CO2)
W A T E R U S E
‣ 1 hamburger 🍔 = 660 gallons of water 💧 = equivalent to showering for 2 MONTHS 🚿
‣ 1/3 of the entire world’s fresh water is used on the meat & dairy industry alone 💦🐮🐷🥛
L A N D U S E
‣ 1/3 of the entire world’s land is desertified due to livestock 🌱❌
‣ Livestock covers a huge 45% of the earth’s total land 🌏
S P E C I E S E X T I N C T I O N
‣ 110 animal and insect species are lost EVERY DAY from rainforest destruction 🐒🐝🐛🦋🐌🐜🕷🐍🦍🐿
‣ Animal agriculture is the leading cause of rainforest destruction, species extinction, ocean dead zones, water pollution and habitat destruction 🌲🌊🐾
F I S H E R I E S
‣ For every 1 pound of fish caught, 5 pounds of unintended marine species, including dolphins, whales and sharks, are caught and discarded as by-kill. 🐬🐋🦈🐢
D E F O R E S T A T I O N
‣ 1-2 acres of rainforest are cleared every second 🌲
‣ Animal agriculture is responsible for 91% of rainforest destruction 📊
‣ Acres of rainforest cleared for palm oil = 26 million. For animal agriculture = 136 million 🌲🐮
So why don’t more of us know about this? Because of the money involved in these industries and because of the inconvenience to our lifestyles. 🍽🍔🍖🍗🌭
The truth is that our diet choices are the biggest cause of our climate crisis. 🆘
It’s overwhelming I know.
So what can we do about it?
Switching to a plant-based diet is without a doubt, the biggest, most important thing you could do to have an impact.
A person following a vegan diet produces 50% less CO2, and uses 1/11th oil, 1/13th water and 1/18th land compared to a meat eater.
Those statistics are huge.
We can have a massive impact just by swapping meat products for plant-based foods. And its not just good for the environment, its good for your health too. Did you know that the chances of dying from cancer, heart disease, respiratory disease, stroke, diabetes, infections, kidney disease, or liver disease are increased directly by meat consumption?
Taking the steps to change over to a plant-based diet has never been easier than it is now. I still eat all of my favourite foods, except now they’re made from plants instead of dead animals. There is no restriction or limitations – the plant-based options out there are truly amazing.
It may seem like a big life change, but not only is it now easier and more convenient than ever, it is so so essential for our planet. Our future literally depends on us deciding to make these changes. It may sound like a hassle and an inconvenience, but what is more inconvenient than the destruction of our entire planet?
There is no planet B.
Don’t just take my word for it. Take responsibility to educate yourself on these matters. There is an abundance of useful information out there. Here is just some of it:
‣ Cowspiricy (free on Netflix)
‣ Forks over Knives (free on Netflix)
‣ What The Health (free on Netflix)
‣ Land of Hope & Glory (free here: https://www.landofhopeandglory.org/ )
‣ Food Choices (free on Netflix)
‣ Earthlings (free on Youtube)
‣ Before The Flood (free on Netflix)
‣ H.O.P.E What You Eat Matters (free here: https://www.hope-theproject.com/the-film/the-film/)
Find more facts from http://www.cowspiracy.com/
Instagram inspo here:
Together we can make a change.
C H O O S E T O C A R E